Saturday, September 7, 2013

My First Half Marathon - In Training

It seems like I just started running, and essentially I did. The summer has come and gone, and I've almost completed my 10th week of half marathon training. Did I just say that? I'm just as shocked as the people in my life. The compliments I've received with regard to my physical changes have been surreal. My ability to run distances I couldn't barely walk before, is surreal. I base any, if not all of my success on the belief that my friends and family believe in me, even if sometimes I don't. What I DO believe that has had the most impact or baring on my success thus far, is my mental growth.

I have been asked: "how did you do it?", and it's never an easy answer, because it's never been easy to accomplish. People want to hear a secret, a short cut, or that it all comes in the form of a pill. I know this, because that's what I wanted in the past. I chose to believe that there had to be an easy way. My success is directly a result of building a trusting open friendship with someone also willing to better their health, and thus opening myself up to more friendships with those interested in focusing on personal goals. Together, my friend Stacey and I stayed focused. We held each other accountable for our choices. We called each other out when necessary, and also opened up our circle to have others focus on their personal goals. We were able to praise each other without updating Facebook status', perhaps only announcing huge goals. We focused on the positive, we held each other high and used the goals reached by others to further encourage us to stay focused on our own goals.


Early Morning Trail running high with Chrissy (Left), Stacey (Right)

I have been asked: "how did you start running?", I refer back to my last blog. http://laneyfitzdays.blogspot.ca/2013/06/territory-unknown-running-for-my-life.html This is truly how running started for me.

Since running in the Classic Mile in Cambridge, I would like to think I've come a long way.

Classic Mile Run, June 2013 (Left) Paris Trail Run, Sept, 2013 (Right)

I have also been a part of a little running community of my own that I'm very proud of. Apparently when one focus' on themselves in a positive form, it is inspiring to others. Since announcing my mission to train for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon on October 20th, 2013, I have also trained with and inspired two of my friends whom just needed a little encouragement to do the same.
Stacey (left) Me (Middle) Chrissy (right) on Sept 6th, 2013 after running 18Km, Chrissy went back and did a total of 20km

Amongst all this chaos, my most driven and inspiring Coach Mike connected me with an opportunity to share with others how I have been able to overcome every day challenges of being able to balance my many responsibilities, and make time for running. Next thing I knew, I had an amazing film crew unpacking gear on my front lawn, and pleasantly interviewing me and my kids in my home. I will be sure to post a link to this 2min video as soon as it has been made public.

Film crew, Matt, Eric and Francis

Things I have learned on this journey, are far too many to mention, however some health concerns along the way were difficult for me to overcome. Firstly, the transition from simply (I use that term loosely) losing weight - to running and burning thousands of calories in one week while also trimming and building muscle has been very challenging mentally. Taking my Coach's advice by staying off the scale, eating more (good) food, and my husbands advice to see the doctor has been essential. Knowing this transition is hard, I may not be using common sense since truly, I've had to adapt quickly to this new way of life. It's important to be a good listener, and "back the eff down" when it comes to any ego.

I have come to realize that I was not eating as much as I should have, and as a result my hair was falling out. After blood work, I am low on iron. Hydration is also key, and learning as much as I can about what happens to fluids as I am running has helped me understand WHY I HAVE to follow instructions. It's a side to this running stuff that has baffled me, but I take very seriously.

Coach Mike has been a huge part of my success, as he has been answering endless questions and proposing ideas to me endlessly of how to improve my performance. I look very forward to running at his pace someday (soon).

I have also learned that music can make or break a run. At first it was my goal to find tunes that kept to a running beat. That doesn't work for me at all. It has to be music that makes me smile when I run. It has to make my arms swing, and my concentration on the goal, intense. Music to me, is a reminder of how my accomplishments thus far are something to be very proud of. Apparently for me, mostly the 80's just do it for me. Here is a sample of some of the songs that rev me up!

Footloose, Kenny Loggins
Holiday Road, Lindsay Buckingham (National Lampoon's Vacation)
Bruce Springsteen, Dancing With Myself
Whip It, Devo
She's a Maniac, Michael Sembello
Walking on Sunshine, Katrina and the Waves
Working for the Weekend, Loverboy
Kyrie, Mr. Mister
Laid, Matt Nathanson
What a Feeling, Irene Cara
Obsession, Animotion
Surrender, Cheap Trick
Gloria, Laura Branigan
The Reflex, Duran Duran

I'm incredibly fortunate to have such an amazing, supportive husband and kids whom are just as excited to hear about my accomplishments as I am to complete them. It's a challenge to not talk about it all the time, as it can take its toll on a spouse when they don't have the same hobby, but knowing he checks his GPS to locate me on any given run makes my heart smile. I appreciate his support, and the kids' support more than they will ever know.

In summary, my half-marathon training has been an experience that has truly changed me to the core in more ways than one. Learning I AM an "athlete" now, and I AM a "runner", are exciting terms to add to my vocabulary! I am nervously excited about completing the STWM in goal time (to be determined closer to date), and I'll be happy to write about that experience after it happens.

Gotta Run!
Stacey (Left), Me (Right)

2 comments: